Those who are planning to work abroad will need to apply for a work visa to be allowed entry and legally work. There are few different visa options for the UK depending on your circumstances.
T5 – Youth Mobility Visa
The most common type of work visa for teachers relocating from Australia, Canada or New Zealand is the Tier-5 Youth Mobility Visa. It’s a two-year unrestricted visa, meaning you’ll have the flexibility of casual work i.e. substitute teaching, should that be your preference.
The eligibility criteria are pretty straightforward. To be able to apply for the Tier-5 visa, you must be under the age of 31 and hold full citizenship in either Australia, Canada or New Zealand.
How long you can I stay?
- You’ll be given a visa to live and work in the UK for up to 24 months.
- You can enter the UK at any time while your visa is valid, and are welcome to leave and come back at any time during your stay.
- If you turn 31 while you’re in the UK, you can stay for as long as your visa is valid.
How long it will take?
- The earliest you can apply for a visa is 3 months before your travel date.
Example: You can apply from 16th May if you plan to travel on 15th August.
- You should get a decision on your visa within 3 weeks from when you apply from outside the UK.
- Find out about paying for a faster decision.
How much does it cost?
- It costs £244 to apply.
- You’ll also have to pay the healthcare surcharge as part of your application.
- Check how much you’ll have to pay before you apply.
How do I apply for the T5 visa?
- You must apply online for this visa.
- You’ll need to have your fingerprints and photograph taken at a visa application centre (to get a biometric residence permit) as part of your application.
- You’ll have to collect your biometric residence permit within 10 days of when you said you’d arrive in the UK (even if you actually arrive at a later date).
- Find out how to get your visa decision faster – this depends on which country you’re in. Check if your visa application centre offers faster decisions and other services.
Read the Youth Mobility Scheme guidance before you apply.
Sponsorship – Skilled Worker Visa
If you have already used your Tier-5 visa or don’t fit the above eligibility criteria, we’d recommend speaking to your consultant regarding direct sponsorship. Unlike the Youth Mobility visa, your application must be made directly with the school or local authority in question. Unfortunately, recruitment agencies are not allowed to sponsor overseas staff, however our expert relocation team will be on hand to help you every single step of the way.
You must already have a job offer secured before you can start the Skilled Worker Visa application. Our placement team will solely market you for jobs at schools that have the resources to sponsor overseas talent, making your life a whole lot easier!
Click here to find out more about the skilled worker visa.
If you have a close relative with British Nationality, such as a Grandparent or Uncle, you could be eligible for an ancestry visa or dual nationality. Here you get the best of both worlds! Speak to our relocation team about your options.
You can apply for a UK Ancestry visa if all of the following are true:
- you’re a Commonwealth citizen.
- you can prove one of your grandparents was born in the UK, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man.
- you’re able and planning to work in the UK.
- you meet the other eligibility requirements.
How much does it cost?
- A UK Ancestry Visa costs £516.
- You may also have to pay the healthcare surcharge as part of your application. Check how much you’ll have to pay before you apply.
How long you I stay?
- You can stay in the UK for 5 years on this visa.
- If you’ve lived in the UK for 5 years on this visa, you may be able to either: