Overseas Teachers: Applying for your Visa - Bounce Teachers Blog

Overseas Teachers: Applying for your Visa

Read the Bounce Teachers guide to applying for your work visa. Find out more about the T5 Youth Mobility, Skilled Worker and Ancestry Visa.

Read the Bounce Teachers guide to applying for your work visa and find out more about the T5 Youth Mobility, Skilled Worker, and Ancestry Visa.

To start your dream teaching job, you will need to apply for a work visa to be allowed entry into the UK and legally work. There are a few different visa options for the UK depending on your circumstances. We’re here to help you decide what is best for you!

T5 – Youth Mobility Visa

The most common type of work visa for teachers relocating from Australia, Canada or New Zealand is the T5 Youth Mobility Visa. It’s a two-year unrestricted visa, meaning you’ll have the flexibility of casual work, i.e. substitute teaching, should that be your preference.

The eligibility criteria are pretty straightforward. To be able to apply for the T5 visa, you must be under the age of 31 and hold full citizenship in either Australia, Canada or New Zealand.

How long can I stay?

  • You’ll be given a visa to live and work in the UK for up to 24 months.
  • You can enter the UK at any time while your visa is valid, and are welcome to leave and come back at             any time during your stay.
  • If you turn 31 while you’re in the UK, you can stay for as long as your visa is valid.

How long it will take?

  • The earliest you can apply for a visa is 6 months before your travel date.

Example: You can apply from 16th February if you plan to travel on 15th August.

  • You should get a decision on your visa within 3 weeks from when you apply from outside the UK.

How much does it cost?

How do I apply for the Youth Mobility visa?

biometric residence permit) as part of your application.

the UK (even if you actually arrive at a later date).

visa application centre offers faster decisions and other services.

Read the Youth Mobility Scheme guidance before you apply.

Sponsorship – Skilled Worker Visa

If you have already used your T5 visa, or don’t fit the above eligibility criteria, we’d recommend speaking to your consultant regarding direct sponsorship. Unlike the Youth Mobility visa, your application must be made directly with the school or local authority in question. Unfortunately, recruitment agencies are not allowed to sponsor overseas staff, however, our expert relocation team will be on hand to help you every single step of the way.

You must already have a job offer secured before you can start the Skilled Worker Visa application. Our placement team will solely market you for jobs at schools that have the resources to sponsor overseas talent, making your life a whole lot easier!

Click here to find out more about the skilled worker visa.

Ancestry Visa

If you have a close relative with British Nationality, such as a Grandparent or Uncle, you could be eligible for an ancestry visa or dual nationality. Here you get the best of both worlds! Speak to our relocation team about your options.

You can apply for a UK Ancestry visa if all of the following are true:

  • you’re a Commonwealth citizen.
  • you can prove one of your grandparents was born in the UK, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man.
  • you’re able and planning to work in the UK.
  • you meet the other eligibility requirements.

How much does it cost?

How long can I stay?

Recommended for you

A Guide to Qualified Teacher Status

QTS, or Qualified Teacher Status, is an accreditation given to qualified teachers in the UK. Find our guide

Being Aware of Student Mental Health

As students and teachers return to the classrooms, it’s important to consider the signs of mental health concerns

Help With Submitting Your References

References can often feel like the most difficult part of the compliance process. By the end of this

How to apply for your overseas police check

As part of your relocation compliance process, you will need to apply for a Criminal Record Check from

1 2 3 5