When you arrive in the UK - Bounce Teachers

When you arrive in the UK

It can be daunting when you initially arrive in the UK. Follow this simple guide to make your arrival and transition into the UK as simple as possible.

It can be daunting when you initially arrive in the UK. Follow this simple guide to make your arrival and transition into the UK as smooth as possible.

Your welcome pack awaits!

So, you’ve obtained your visa, booked your flights, and you’re all packed up and ready to begin a new teaching adventure with us here in the UK. What’s next?

We’re here to help you settle into life in the UK. This includes, but is not limited to:

UK Bank Account

Once you arrive in the UK, you will be asked to complete an application with  Revolut or Monzo (two of the most comprehensive UK Bank Accounts for international travelers).  When you are more settled and have found your long-term accommodation, you’re welcome to apply for an additional bank account yourself. See the following link for trusted establishments: Click here to compare the best UK Current Accounts.

UK Telephone Number

Luckily, picking up a UK telephone number is not only simple but also cost-effective. Bounce Teachers will provide you with a UK sim card when you first arrive. There are lots of providers to choose from, and if you already own a handset, you could choose between a fixed monthly contract or a rolling 30-day contract. We’d recommend GiffGaff as you’re not locked into a contract and the price plans are very reasonable, starting at just £5 a month.

National Insurance Number

A National Insurance number, or NI number, is a unique number per individual, which we all must have to work and to do almost anything financially in the UK. Find out more on our dedicated guide on applying for your National Insurance Number.

Public Transport

Most of London’s transport systems operate using ‘cashless’ payment. All London transport services accept contactless credit/debit payments, so you can use your new Monzo or Revolut card to get around. However, if you’re relocating to the Greater London area, you may wish to get an Oyster Card when you arrive. This is a prepaid contactless payment card that can be used across the entire Transport for London (TFL) network and it also makes a great souvenir! London is separated in Zones 1 to 9. If you will be travelling regularly, it will be cheaper to purchase a Travel card from TFL. They have several options available depending on which transport zones you require.

London is a big city, and navigating the transport system may be confusing at first. You can plan any journey within London using TFL’s Journey Planner or Citymapper and you’ll be using the tube as confident as any Londoner in no time.

If you’re moving to a different city or town in the UK, simply head over to your local council’s website to find more information on public transport and travel cards. You can find your local council here.

Recommended for you

5 reasons to teach in the UK

5 reasons to teach in the UK

If you’re looking for a chance to travel the world and experience new cultures, all while teaching, the

A guide to Qualified Teacher Status

A guide to Qualified Teacher Status

QTS, or Qualified Teacher Status, is an accreditation given to qualified teachers in the UK. Find our guide

Applying for your Visa

Applying for your Visa

Read the Bounce Teachers guide to applying for your work visa. Find out more about the T5 Youth

Being aware of student mental health

Being aware of student mental health

As students and teachers return to the classrooms, it’s important to consider the signs of mental health concerns

1 2 3 6